For many travelers, the anticipation of reaching their holiday destination is coupled with the dread of enduring a long or even short haul flight. Besides the cramped seats and dry cabin air, air travel can take a toll on your back if not approached with care.
The last thing you want is to have your summer get-away holiday ruined by back pain!
Our London chiropractors have put together seven valuable tips to help you keep your back safe while flying to and from your summer destination.
- Pack Light and Use Carry-On Wisely: Carrying heavy luggage can strain your back even before you board the plane. Pack only the essentials and invest in a lightweight, easy-to-roll suitcase. If you must use a backpack, opt for one with padded shoulder straps and a waist belt to evenly distribute weight and reduce stress on your back.
- Mind Your Posture: Maintaining good posture during the flight is crucial for keeping your back safe. Sit with your back straight against the seat and your shoulders relaxed. Use a travel pillow or rolled-up blanket to support the natural curve of your lower back. Avoid crossing your legs for prolonged periods, as it can hinder blood circulation and lead to discomfort.
- Take Regular Stretch Breaks: Sitting for extended periods can put strain on your back and hamper circulation. Make it a point to stand up and stretch every hour or two. Walk up and down the aisle, gently stretch your back, and perform simple exercises to keep your muscles engaged.
- Stay Hydrated: Dehydration can exacerbate back pain and stiffness. Drink plenty of water throughout the flight to stay hydrated and maintain spinal disc health. Limit caffeine and alcohol consumption, as they can contribute to dehydration and disrupt sleep patterns.
- Bring Supportive Accessories: Consider carrying travel accessories that can provide additional support to your back. Inflatable back cushions, lumbar rolls, or seat wedges can help maintain proper spinal alignment and reduce strain during the flight.
- Perform In-Seat Exercises: Engaging in light exercises while seated can help prevent stiffness and promote blood circulation. Try ankle circles, foot pumps, and gentle torso twists to keep your muscles active and relieve tension.
- Visit a chiropractor before your holiday: Chiropractic adjustments can relieve tension and align the spine, reducing discomfort during travel. Improved posture and flexibility enhance overall comfort during the flight, promoting better circulation and reducing the risk of back pain or stiffness upon arrival.
By following these seven essential tips, you can minimise the risk of back pain and discomfort during your flight and arrive at your final destination feeling refreshed and ready to enjoy your summer holiday. Happy travels this summer from our London chiropractors at Motionback!
Visiting MotionBack – The Top London Chiropractor
If you are looking for a London chiropractor to help you, our professional, experienced and friendly team of chiropractors in central London are here to help you. To book your appointment online click here or you can call us on 0207 112 5408.