The summer holidays are very close and to many young families across the country that can mean only one thing, holiday time!
Whether you’re jetting off the Spain, driving across the country or you’re jumping on a train to your relatives back home you are more than likely about the spend hours and hours sat down.
Travelling is the worst part of a holiday and it can also be the most damaging on the back. As leading London chiropractors we have some useful advice for you to bear in mind this year.
Before you go
As with a lot in life, good preparation can mean the difference between success or failure or in this case, pain or no pain.
There are few things you can do before heading off on your travels that will stand you in good stead and they mainly revolve around luggage;
- First of all, pack only what you need and keep the weight down as low as possible. It is easier said than done but it makes a big difference to the strains you will place on your body.
- Once you have seriously consider what you need to pack, it is time to think about the luggage you will use the contain it. If you can, we as leading London chiropractors always recommend luggage with wheels (as long as the handle is tall enough). If not a bag with wheel a strong rucksack which distributes the weight evenly will do a good job.
- Finally on luggage, two bags are better than one. Share the load.
If you’re driving
Ok now on to something bit more specific. The chances are you will either be driving to the airport or straight to the destination. So it is an important topic to cover. No worries, being busy London Chiropractors we often advice our patients on how to stay pain free in a car;
- Ensure your driving position is correct. You want a slight bend at the elbows when your hands are on the steering wheel. Be careful to not be sat to close or too far away either as this puts unnecessary strain your neck and back.
- Take regular breaks. We know the temptation to get to your destination as quick as possible is strong but it is important to take regular breaks and stretch out. We would love it if you did this every 40 minutes but every 2 hours will do.
- Don’t wear tight and restrictive clothing
- Keep hydrated and relaxed.
On a bus, train or plane
- Keep hydrated and relaxed – As with above it is important you keep hydrated as dehydration will exaggerate muscle pains.
- Do some exercises – You will be stuck in your seat for a long time, so make sure you are doing a few seat exercises to keep your blood circulating and your body limbered up.
- Go for walks – When you can get up and about, do it and stretch off. It will really help.
- Remember to lift your luggage properly and avoid over stretching or lifting too heavy a bag (your prep work should come in useful here).
For more useful advice on keeping your back and neck safe whilst on your summer holidays please get in touch and we’ll be glad to help.
Take your first step to better health and get in touch today.
The Team at MotionBack Chiropractic
The Leading Central London Chiropractors
Serving Holborn, High Holborn, Chancery Lane, Covent Garden and Kings Cross