Spring is here and with the weather improving (we hope) and longer days it’s a great time to get outdoors and get some exercise. For many taking exercise conjures up sweaty gyms and heavy and cumbersome equipment, however, our London chiropractor at MotionBack suggests a simple, accessible and free form of exercise suitable for all ages and ability.
It may surprise you to know that it’s walking.
Our chiropractor believes that walking is the most underrated form of exercise, which is such a shame. Walking provides so many benefits to our general health including the health of our backs. In addition, it can be a great way to meet new people. There are lots of walking groups around that walk on a regular basis. Some have designated walk leaders if you are unsure about where to walk.
If you are just getting started then our chiropractor has this advice for you:
- Invest in a comfortable pair of walking shoes or trainers.
- Don’t overdo it on your first few outings.
- Build up your pace and intensity gradually.
- Remember to include a warm up and cool down period and do a few simple stretches.
- Include more walking in your daily life – get off the bus a stop earlier, take the stairs more than the lift, park further away from the shops.
No more excuses – spring into walking this spring.
If you have a pre-existing health condition you may wish to ask your GP’s advice about suitable exercise.