Cold wintry weather is sweeping Britain at the moment. With lots of icy roads and pavements it has the potential to be quite hazardous under foot. This hazardous weather could also cause injuries with slips and falls.
As a leading London Chiropractor, we would like to share some tips on how to stay safe when out walking this winter.
- It is a good idea to have two pairs of shoes; one for driving and wearing indoors and another pair with good treads, to walk in the ice and snow
- Waterproof or lined shoes and thermal socks are also a good idea as these stop your feet getting cold or feeling numb
- Make sure you wear comfortable and warm clothing, which allows you to move freely. Anything that stops you walking ‘normally’ could make you more prone to falling over
- Practice your balance. As an exercise, standing on one leg is a fantastic way to improve your balance
- When walking, try and keep your hands out of your pockets as this will also help keep your balance
- If you are unfortunate and do fall, try to curl up and roll as this will soften the blow and help to reduce any jarring. Also try to avoid putting your hands out to save yourself – this could cause injuries to your wrist
- Keep your wits about you. Try to avoid alcohol as this makes you less alert and may make you more unsteady on your feet
If you take these precautions you should stay safe whilst out and about this winter.
If you are suffering from back pain and you feel you need some help, please do not hesitate to pay us a visit or get in touch with London Chiropractor Motionback, on 0207 112 5408 or email firstname.lastname@example.org